Quite often I feel this resistance and can't bring myself to do the things everyone else is doing. Maybe it comes from strong feelings of days gone by, like not wanting to be the typical teenager who gives into peer pressure or my post college fear of being pretentious, I don't know but there are some things I have trouble getting on board with.
I like music but refuse to be pretentious about and talk about "only liking a bands early stuff" or saying that a song is "too commercial". I will openly listen to the Pussy Cat Dolls but it took me years to get an Ipod. I was old school for so long with my CD player much to the embarrassment of my teenage niece who told me I really must drag myself into the 21st century and get one. I eventually did (thanks to Roomdog who got it as a birthday surprise!) and by God why did I not do it years ago?
There are many other things I resisted then regretted like getting my laptop, seeing the latest movies (can't stand the hype) having a facebook page and wearing skinny jeans, so recently I felt it was time to let the resistance go and try something new. Last Sunday, I drank water.
Water drinkers annoy me. I have to say you guys are kind of pompous about the whole thing, kind of Superior. I did enjoy that feeling of being a healthy hydrated person last Sunday for a while and I even felt my hangover subside but I found the whole experience time consuming. I drank one large bottle and spent the rest of the day peeing. How the hell do you guys get anything done? All you must do is pee! Flying back from Columbus to NYC I had to go five times! Surely it just must get worse the more you drink. I don't have time to drink water so I will have to just put up with the sneers and disbelief I get for drinking Coke for breakfast.
And for the record I refuse to give into the GMail pressure going on out there. People talk about being a GMail user all the time! They are genuinely shocked when I don't have GMail. I have even overheard conversations on the train which went something like this. "OhmyGod, you don't have GMail? You must get so much spam! Howdoyou put up with it? I don't know what I did before GMail. Gmail is just the next generation, you have to get GMail" Some Gmailers also think that inviting you to become a GMailer is like asking you to be a Godparent or their chief bridesmaid or something. Even signing into blog I get this pressure to get an account...well I refuse. I am keeping my .co.uk address...
Rant Over. I am now off to watch a movie with Randy that came out several years ago that I have not seen and I will drink obscene amounts of Coke and I might not even recycle.
2 comments:
yeah, i get the same sneers when i drink bourbon with breakfast. vegetarians and myspace users are sometimes like that, too.
Oh, and people who are so anti-tv...
Post a Comment