I have always been a little weird about change and kind of liked things to stay the same. Roomdog and I used to talk about this a lot. How do you know when a period in your life is over? Why do you stop hanging out in a particular place of which the same people. What happens to make you change you daily routines and old habits? It made me think about other times when things changed for me. When I split with my first serious boyfriend in my last year of college I realised that I couldn't do basic things for myself like order in a restaurant, light a cigarette or open a bottle of wine (he was a control freak!) and my college friends put me on a crash course to being single. It gave me some great stories and experiences and made me think I wouldn't be sad about change any more but I guess I still am. Although there have been lots of times of change since then, I kind of feel now like I did then, over ten years ago. In the last few months times have been changing.
Roomdog was the housewife of the year. She did everything in our apartment. She liked to cook and clean and I didn't so she took care of just about everything. We had a lot of discussions about how I would survive and Roomdog even taught me to cook five meals so that I wouldn't starve or go back to the old Ramen Noodles. I have been trying to cook for myself and Randy with varying degrees of success and must confess even bought a cooking magazine. I have become obsessed with produce and recipes and how many onions I have for some reason. I don't expect that I will ever be Jamie Oliver but I can make a decent meal which makes me feel very grown up.
The cleaning is another story. Roomdog used to stress about cleaning which I never understood. Our apartment was always spotless and she could not relax if one thing was out of place. She vacuumed the walls and scrubbed the floor and always made her bed in the morning. Being naturally messy keeping the house tidy has been the biggest challenge since roomdogs departure. I hate cleaning with a passion but getting a wee lady in to clean an apartment you can barley turn around in would just be embarrassing so I'll have to suck this one up.
I used to swear I would never drive but I am learning and got more a of a kick out of passing my drivers knowledge test than I did out of graduating college. I have taken to the road so drivers beware, learning to drive at 33 is not easy! Randy said to me the other day, "The other cars are not children you are responsible for supervising, you can't watch them all." This was while I waited for 5 minutes at a junction because I was too afraid to make a left turn but I am well on my way to freedom. I can make to the 24 hour store and the supermarket, all I need now is to learn to get to mall and I will be independent...my college pals would approve I reckon.
Randy and I were talking at the weekend about when your life changes. He misses his college friends and his old life since he moved here last year and I found myself telling him that sometimes it is the circumstances you least expect that make the best changes although thinking about it now I might be being selfish. I am very glad about the decisions he made cause he is really great to be around. I was single for a long time and dating made big changes for me but I can really recommend this having a boyfriend thing. He asked me a couple of weeks ago what was the hardest thing about roomdog leaving and I told him it was the small things that I didn't appreciate when she was around like her being able to read my mood or her fixing my toothpaste. (I am a random toothpaste squeezer and she use to squeeze it all from the bottom to even it out.) Now Randy does that for me...he's sweet like that.
Sometimes change is a good thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment