Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's really not the Carbon Footprint Roomdog

I talk to Roomdog a couple of times a week now on the phone. One of our favorite conversations is about how we adjusting to the changes since she moved away. I was worried about how I would adapt and just always thought that Roomdog would be fine. Well she is. She has a great new job and is moving again but after today's conversation I realize that she relied on me for some things too.

Roomdog is afraid of computers. I taught her some basics to get by and we used to have Publisher tutorials on quiet afternoons. Technology amazes her more than my parents and she is a wee bit scared of it. Today I asked her, "Have you read the blog yet?" She says , "Oh not yet, I am saving it up to read like a book. Can I print it out?" I tell her it is really not that serious it is just for entertainment value for me. She tells me a big long story about what she does when she gets access to the internet. Roomdog doesn't like a messy inbox and has to delete things immediately. She was thinking so much about the wall posts on her facebook page (which I made for her) she had to have me log in for her and delete them. Having known Roomdog for a long time I say, "You don't know what a blog is do you?" I was right, she didn't. So I explain it to here and tell her "I have sent you the link in an email, you know you can just scroll over that and it will link for you." Silence then "Well I don't really do that." Silence " You don't know what scroll means do you?" No. Now I understand the conversation we had a few months back when Roomdog tried to tell me there was nothing really on the internet.

I feel bad. Roomdog taught me to feed myself before she left. She gave Randy a whole tutorial about not taking the last Coke ever and how to look after me. So Roomdog I will be available for more lessons via phone...so you don't have to pretend that your reluctance to use the internet is about your carbon footprint.

2 comments:

KD said...

You are so kind. And a great writer. Give Roomdog a big hug over the phone for me.

KD said...

hey. i love that photo. I'll send you the press release format that we use. Later gator,

KD